The common pests infest food products like flour, cereal or pet food. These reddish-brown beetles have non-usable wings and are about 3 to 4 mm long. It is easy for these beetles to crawl inside sealed packages unnoticed, so if you notice small beetles crawling near products, there may be an infestation. With a short gestation period, 4 to 5 generations of beetles can be produced every year.
If your home requires treatment for confused and flour beetles, prepare as follows:
- Throughout the unit, move all furniture away from the walls by about 12" to 18". Note: If bugs have only been found in kitchen, move furniture only in kitchen, hallways and bathroom, only move all furniture if bugs have been found throughout unit.
- Clear the floor area of all closets so that baseboard areas can be accessed.
- Remove everything from all the kitchen cupboards. Place these items on the counter top or table. After treatment, do not wash the shelves, simply line them with new paper, either shelf-lining paper or wax paper before putting the dishes or food product back. This will provide a layer of protection between the pesticide and your dishes and/or food product.
- Go through all food items to check for bugs and eggs, dispose of any infested products in a sealed plastic bag and remove from your home as soon as possible.
- In the bathroom, remove everything from under the sink. These items can be placed in the bathtub. After treatment, do not wash the shelves, line them with new paper same as above.
- After treatment, everyone must be away from the home for a minimum of 4 to 6 hours. If anyone in the home is pregnant or nursing, less than 1 year of age, or having severe allergies or respiratory problems, these people should stay away for a longer period of time, generally 24 hours.
- All pets must be removed from the home for a minimum of 4 to 6 hours, except birds which should be removed for 24 hours. If you have fish tanks, you should cover the fish tank with plastic, a towel or a sheet and unplug any fish filters as they pump outside air into the water the fish live in.
(From our Preparation Guidelines for Confused Flour Beetles.)
Contact Cal-Rid Exterminators to learn more about confused and red flour beetle control in Calgary.