Four of the Worst Pests to Watch Out for This Summer
The pest control products that you buy at the store can only do so much to fight back against summer insects in Calgary. Keep reading to learn more about the four worst summer pests that Calgarians face and what you can do when they get inside your home.
Everyone’s least favourite insect, mosquitoes are one of the worst things about summer. Not only do they cause itchy bites but they also carry many troublesome viruses. To keep mosquitoes out of your home:
- Replace or repair all window and door screens on your home
- Drain any standing water that is near or inside your home
- Clear gutters of dead leaves and debris
Mosquitoes lay their eggs in stagnant water so always be on the lookout for pools and puddles on your property.
The problem with ants is that if you’ve seen one, there are literally thousands of them not far behind. Their little feet spread bacteria as they walk through your garbage, over your kitchen counter and through your cupboards. Store-bought pest control products are ineffective when dealing with a large colony. Keep ants under control by:
- Keeping your home (especially your kitchen) nice and tidy
- Sealing any cracks or holes in interior and exterior walls
- Asking local pest control companies like Cal-Rid Exterminators to destroy the colony
These tiny bloodsuckers can pose a real health threat to humans and pets alike. Ticks live in long grass and are most often brought into your yard by pets or other animals. Keep ticks out of your backyard by:
- Mowing the lawn regularly
- Sealing up your trash so you don’t attract skunks, raccoons and other tick-carrying animals
- Protecting yourself if you are going on a hike
- Having your yard professionally treated for proper pest control
Bed bugs quickly become a huge problem once they find their way into your home. They live inside carpets, beds and upholstered furnishings and survive on a diet of human blood. The resulting bites are incredibly itchy. Keep bedbugs out of your house by:
- Inspecting your bed, and your pets’ beds, for any signs of bed bugs
- Vacuuming everything that you can
- Washing everything that you can
If you’ve got an infestation of bedbugs, ticks, ants, mosquitoes, or any other type of pest, call Cal-Rid Exterminators right away. With over 58 years serving the Calgary community and surrounding areas, Cal-Rid Exterminators is one of the most trusted pest control companies in the city. Contact us today to learn more about our services.